(WIP) VEX Elite Squadron - A retro rail shooter inspired by StarFox & 90s anime

So this is a project I started working on recently which is a 3D rail shooter that’s kind of a blend of a lot of my interests - it’s inspired by StarFox, 90’s sci-fi & mech anime, and PS1/Saturn game aesthetics.

Setting

In VEX Elite Squadron, you play as a character named Roa in control of a VEX (Variable Environment, X-configuration) fighter - a kind of versatile hybrid space/atmosphere vehicle. Roa lends her skills to the AIF, a group of freedom fighters who’ve declared their separation from the oppressive galactic empire known as the Imperium and are engaged in constant battle with them.

Gameplay

VEX is a rail shooter heavily inspired both by games like Star Fox and Panzer Dragoon as well as various 90s SHMUPs.

The game is divided into a series of stages, and in each stage you progress through the level on a linear path, maneuvering on a flat plane, rolling to quickly dodge incoming projectile barrages, and shooting a variety of opponents. Each stage ends in a boss fight against one of the Imperium’s weapons platforms.

It’s just a concept for now, but I’d also like to experiment with having dialogue between characters in between each stage presented in a kind of VN-esque format. This dialogue would serve to develop the relationships between characters, reveal lore bits about the world, and advance the plot in general.

Development

I somewhat recently started working on the prototype in my spare time. It’s built on .NET Core and FNA, using FMOD for sound and my own custom-written content pipeline.

Here’s some prototype footage of what I have:

Footage is a bit old, but work has been keeping me fairly busy and I also just did a rather hefty rewrite of the content pipeline. It’s not much, but I have the basic engine structure, game logic, controls, etc all in place and I would like to keep building on this. I will probably try and prototype some more enemy types, as well as working on the stage itself (right now it’s just a flat scrolling plane but would like to add environment geometry, props, skybox, etc).
May also spend some time messing with the mechanics in general - I know somebody on Twitter pointed out that having a constantly regenerating pool of health on TOP of the non-regenerating health could make things a little too easy, so I will probably mess with that.
Anyway hope to continue updating things here~!

5 Likes

Hell yeah! I have such a soft spot for Star Fox and 3DO’s Starblade’s flat shading aesthetics! Really impressive you’re custom building a lot, too!

2 Likes

Yeah, tbh I’ve been gravitating a lot more towards custom building things. It takes some extra work, but there’s a certain joy I get out of doing things that way, like making things by hand!

1 Like

Wow. The core gameplay is looking great.

I am always down for more Star Fox-likes. Such an underrepresented genre and a lot of the games that have been released in that space don’t nail the feel the way that your prototype looks like it does.

2 Likes

I’m glad it looks good!
TBH the gamefeel I’m going for is, as a bit of an admission, pretty heavily inspired by the Kingdom Hearts 2 gummi ship segments actually LOL. That was the game I grew up with, and I kinda fell in love with this very fast paced arcade-y “dodge & fire” rhythm it encourages. ofc I did play Star Fox later and realized where they most likely got their inspiration from ^^

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever played the original starfox but definitely what I thought of first when I saw this. It’s looking good!